Thursday, March 17, 2022

Crab Cakes Recipe

Crab Cakes Recipe

A few months ago I made crab cakes for the first time. I liked them but probably wouldn’t have made them again if Shane hadn’t specifically requested them. Shane has, however, been asking me to make them again for quite a few weeks now. The last recipe I used was “light” so I thought this time I would try to find a recipe that wasn’t quite so diet friendly! After some searching, I finally came upon the below recipe on William Sonoma’s website. I’ve generally enjoyed their recipes so I wanted to give it a try.

The process of making these crab cakes was somewhat frustrating for me. I found that the cakes weren’t holding together at all when I shaped them. I wasn’t sure if I had done something wrong or if that was just the way it was supposed to be. In the end, once I stuck them in the pan to fry, everything seemed to work out. They held their shape as they cooked and were a nice golden, brown color. Shane absolutely loved these crab cakes and I’m positive he’ll be asking for them again! I still wasn’t won over so I’ve decided maybe I just don’t like crab cakes (hard to believe, but I’ve never had them in a restaurant so don’t have anything to compare my 2 attempts to). I halved the recipe below and it made 4 good sized crab cakes.

Crab Cakes

By Tracey

Crab Cakes

from WilliamsSonoma.com

Ingredients:

  • 3 or 4 slices French or Italian bread
  • 3 Tbs. unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup minced green onions, including some tender green portions (3 or 4 onions) (I left these out)
  • 1 lb. fresh-cooked crabmeat, picked over to remove any shell fragments
  • 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
  • 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • Cayenne pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
  • Lemon wedges for serving

Directions:

Remove the crusts from the bread and discard. Cut or tear the bread into small pieces and put into a food processor fitted with the metal blade or into a blender. Pulse a few times to make coarse crumbs; you should have about 2 cups. Place the crumbs in a large bowl and set aside.

In a small sauté pan over low heat, melt 1 Tbs. of the butter. Add the green onions and sauté until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the onions to the bread crumbs along with the crabmeat and parsley. Mix well.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the cream and eggs until well blended. Whisk in the lemon juice, mustard, salt and cayenne pepper. Slowly add to the crab mixture, stirring continuously so the bread crumbs are evenly moistened. Form into 8 or 12 oval or round cakes about 1 inch thick. Put the flour on a plate or on a piece of waxed paper. Lightly and evenly coat each crab cake with the flour, shaking off any excess.

In a large sauté pan or fry pan over medium-high heat, melt the remaining 2 Tbs. butter with the vegetable oil. When hot, fry the cakes in batches, turning once, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a warmed plate and keep warm until all the cakes are cooked. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.

Crab Cakes Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment