Sunday, March 6, 2022

Vegan Rye-Oat Quick Bread

Vegan Rye-Oat Quick Bread

By Genevieve

A couple days ago I had a craving for bread...and not just any bread, but fresh, homemade bread! So even though I practically live next door to a bakery, I decided to make some myself.

Looking through my bookmarked recipes, I came across one that claimed to take no more than 30 minutes. Since it doesn't use yeast, there is no kneading or rising time required, meaning I could satisfy my craving much quicker!

I also had some rye flour in my cupboard that I had been anxiously waiting to bake something with, so I took this opportunity to try making a rye bread. For such a quick and easy process, I couldn't be happier with how it turned out!

It had a slightly sweet, nutty flavour (from the oats), with a crunchy crust and a dense, moist interior. It reminded me a lot of Irish soda bread, which I also love.

I ate some by itself, some slathered in margarine and jam, and even some dipped into my soup with dinner. Mmm now I'm getting a craving for more...

Vegan Rye-Oat Quick Bread 1

Adapted from A Healthy Passion

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup rolled oats, ground into a flour-like consistency in the blender
  • 1 cup rye flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1.5 tbsp agave nectar
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1 cup almond milk

Instructions:

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the melted coconut oil and agave, then add almond milk. Mix wet and dry ingredients and stir until everything is incorporated into a dough. 

Shape the dough into a ball and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes (mine took 25 mins, but my oven usually takes a bit longer to cook things all the way through). 

Cool on a wire rack and slice. 

Note: This was best eaten fresh on the same day it was made. By the next day, it got a bit dry, but a quick zap in the microwave softened it up again.

Vegan Rye-Oat Quick Bread Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment