Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Brussels Sprout, Apple and Kale Sauté Recipe

Brussels Sprout, Apple and Kale Sauté Recipe

By Genevieve

I've got a short post today for a quick and easy meal idea when you're cooking for one (as I usually am!).

I made this for dinner recently as a way to use up some of the vegetables I had in the fridge, including brussels sprouts and kale. My favourite way to eat brussels sprouts is sauteeing them on the stove, so I knew I wanted to make a sauté.

Along with the vegetables, I added some toasted almonds, garlic and shallots, as well as a pinch of paprika and chopped sage for extra flavour. At the last minute, I decided to throw in some diced apple with the kale, and I tossed everything in a sweet and tangy balsamic, mustard and maple syrup dressing.

I wasn't expecting much when I sat down to eat my impromptu dinner, but the flavour combination was so good that I had to make it again a few days later so that I could share the recipe with you!

I loved how the brussels sprouts got nice and dark and had a sort of roasted, charred flavour. I'm used to eating kale raw but the softened, cooked kale in this dish was a nice change and helped to bulk up the dish and absorb the dressing. I was also glad that I added the apples, since they added a nice sweetness.

Overall this turned out to be an easy and comforting Autumn dinner with lots of deep flavours and textures that I thought went really well together!

Brussels Sprout, Apple & Kale Sauté

Ingredients:

  • 1 tbsp slivered almonds
  • ~5 oz Brussels sprouts (8-10 sprouts)
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 a large shallot, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 clove of garlic, smashed
  • 1/2 tbsp minced fresh sage
  • Scant 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 small apple, diced
  • Lemon juice
  • ~ 2 cups (packed) chopped kale
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • ~3/4 tbsp whole grain Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup

Instructions:

Heat a small skillet on medium heat. Toast the almonds in the skillet for a couple of minutes, until they are browned. Remove from pan and set aside.

Trim the bottoms and outer leaves off the brussels sprouts. Slice each sprout lengthwise into three or four slices.

Heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and sage and cook for about one more minute.  Add the sliced brussels sprouts and sprinkle with the smoked paprika. Season with salt and pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Toss the apple pieces in a bit of lemon juice. Add the apple and kale to the pan. Sprinkle kale with a bit of salt. Cover pan and let cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

Meanwhile, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, mustard and maple syrup. Pour dressing over the contents of the pan and toss to combine. Transfer to a serving dish and add the slivered almonds.

Serve hot.

Makes 1 serving.

Brussels Sprout, Apple and Kale Sauté Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment