Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Aloo Channa Chaat Roti Wraps Recipe

Aloo Channa Chaat Roti Wraps Recipe

By Genevieve

As promised, I'm back with a recipe that I had made before my trip!

If you've been reading my blog for awhile, then you already know that I love Indian food. And while I do enjoy bowls of rich curry, my favourite type of Indian food is chaats - street food and snacks. I love the mix of sweet, spicy, and sour flavours and the combination of fresh toppings, chutneys and cool, creamy yogurt that are typically featured in chaats.

This roti wrap is my own take on Indian chaat. I made a simple aloo channa (potatoes and chickpea) filling, which I layered onto a freshly made roti bread, topped with chopped tomatoes, cilantro, sev, yogurt, and two types of chutney.

It may sound like a lot of work to make your own bread, make the filling, and prepare all of the topping ingredients separately, but there are a couple of shortcuts you can take to make the process even easier, like making the roti and filling ahead of time.

For the roti, I used this recipe for 5-minute whole wheat naan from Food Doodles. I would recommend this recipe to anyone who has never made Indian flatbread before, since it's very easy to follow. And once you get some practice at making your own roti, the process becomes really easy - you just mix a simple dough, let it sit, roll it out, and cook it on the stovetop for a few minutes!

This particular recipe gives you 4 thin and flexible wraps that are perfect for rolling up around any filling you like. They are best eaten fresh and warm, but if you have leftovers, they can be wrapped up and stored on the counter or in the freezer.

Once the rotis and the filling are made, you can customize your wraps with the amount of toppings that you like!  (Note: you can even make the filling ahead of time and reheat it when you're ready to eat).

I like to eat mine with lots of tomatoes and cilantro, and I also added some sev noodles (a crispy fried Indian snack) that I had in my pantry for some extra crunch and spice.

The best part, in my opinion, is to pour on lots of plain yogurt and generous squeezes of both tamarind and spicy green chutneys. I like to use about equal amounts of each one, but it depends on how spicy you like your food!

Aloo Channa Chaat Roti Wraps

I loved the combination of ingredients in this wrap - it was spicy mixed with sweet and tangy; warm, cool, and fresh - all at the same time!

I doubt you would ever find anything exactly like this on the streets of India, but the flavours definitely brought me back to the time I spent there and some of the delicious street food that I ate!

Aloo Channa Chaat Roti Wraps

1 recipe whole wheat naan from Food Doodles

Ingredients:

Filling:

  • 5-6 oz small white potatoes, peeled
  • 1 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • Chili powder to taste
  • Dash of salt
  • 1/2 tsp chaat masala spice
  • 2 tsp lemon juice

Topping:

  • ~ 2 tbsp diced tomatoes
  • 1-2 tbsp fresh cilantro
  • ~1 tbsp sev (optional)
  • Plain yogurt
  • Cilantro chutney
  • Tamarind chutney

Instructions:

Make dough for naan, following the instructions in the link above.

Place potatoes in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high and simmer, uncovered, until tender when pierced with a fork, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and cut into small pieces. Set aside.

Heat skillet for cooking the naan. When naan is finished, keep covered with a towel. Reduce heat on the stove to medium-low and add a bit of vegetable oil to the skillet.  Add the chickpeas and heat for a couple of minutes. Add the potatoes, a couple dashes of chili powder, a dash of salt, chaat masala, and lemon juice. Stir and cook for a couple more minutes, until heated through. (Note: you can leave the chickpeas whole, or mash them a bit for a smoother filling). 

To assemble wraps, spoon some of the chickpea-potato mixture down the middle of a piece of naan. Top with your choice of toppings – I recommend a couple spoonfuls of plain yogurt, diced tomatoes, cilantro, a pinch of sev noodles, and equal amounts of spicy green cilantro chutney and sweet tamarind chutney. 

Close wrap and enjoy!

Makes enough for at least 4 wraps.

Aloo Channa Chaat Roti Wraps Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment