Monday, March 7, 2022

Pumpkin Coconut Snack Cake Recipe

Pumpkin Coconut Snack Cake Recipe

By Genevieve

If you've been following my blog since it started, you may have noticed that I like making healthy cakes that can be eaten for breakfast or as a snack. One reason I like to make them is because they're so simple - just mix up the batter and pour it into a pan - and there are so many different flavour variations to try! So far, I've posted pineapple, raspberry, and apple cakes, but I think this pumpkin coconut cake is my favourite version so far!

The recipe for this cake comes from this Vegan Pumpkin Snack Cake at Versatile Vegetarian Kitchen.  I changed a few things in the recipe, like using spelt flour and reducing the amount of sugar. I also wanted to enhance both the pumpkin and coconut flavours even more by adding some pumpkin pie spice, and using coconut milk and coconut oil instead of the water and vegetable oil that the original recipe called for.

The result was a dense and moist cake with amazing flavour! I loved the combination of pumpkin with coconut, and the pieces of shredded coconut throughout the cake gave it some extra texture that I really liked. This was not a very sweet cake and it actually tasted pretty light despite its dense texture, so I was able to enjoy it for breakfast.  It was also very easy and quick to make, and it stored well for a few days (although if you like it as much as I did, it might not last that long!)

Vegan Pumpkin Coconut Snack Cake

Adapted from Versatile Vegetarian Kitchen

Ingredients:

  • 1.5 cups flour (I used 1 cup of light spelt flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup shredded coconut (I used unsweetened but you could use sweetened for a sweeter cake)
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 1/3 cup coconut milk beverage (from a carton) or other non-dairy milk
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tsp lemon juice

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8x8 square baking pan with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and coconut.

Combine all remaining ingredients (sugar through to lemon juice) in a separate bowl and mix until smooth.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just incorporated (do not overmix).

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.

Let cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling. Cut into squares once cool.

Makes about 12 pieces.

Pumpkin Coconut Snack Cake Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment