Sunday, March 6, 2022

Fat-Free Pineapple Coffee Cake

Fat-Free Pineapple Coffee Cake

By Genevieve

For my first post, I wanted to share this tropical coffee cake that I just made. I was searching for a healthy baked good recipe to use up some pineapple I had, and came across this one for pineapple coffee cake on FatFree Vegan Kitchen. I was intrigued by the idea of a fat-free cake, but I had had mixed success with fat-free baked goods in the past. However, the reviews for this recipe were all great, so I had to try it out for myself!

I made a few modifications to the original recipe (subbing banana for the applesauce and using fresh instead of canned pineapple), and I was so happy with the results! The texture turned out a bit dense and chewy, which I like, and its still a light and healthy coffee cake that leaves you feeling guilt-free!

(Note: I didn't have egg replacer, so I went with the suggestion of using cornstarch + baking powder instead...it seemed to work fine, but I'm not sure how it would compare to the original)

Pineapple Coffee Cake

Adapted from FatFree Vegan Kitchen

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup quick or rolled oats
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I used regular granulated sugar)
  • 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 tsp cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon white or cider vinegar
  • 1 cup fresh pineapple diced very small (try to keep as much juice as you can, but if it doesn’t look very juicy, add about 1 tbsp additional juice - any kind of tropical juice you have)
  • 1/3 cup mashed banana (about 1 medium sized banana)

Topping:

  • 2 tablespoons coarse sugar (I used brown sugar)
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Prepare an 8x8 baking dish by spraying with cooking spray.

First, grind the oats in a blender until fine (to turn into oat flour). Mix oats with the rest of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix the wet ingredients and then add to dry. Stir until completely moistened (Note: the batter will be very thick...I thought I was going to have to add more liquid, as it took a while to incorporate all of the dry parts, but eventually it came together...just be careful not to overmix!)

Pour batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with topping. Bake for 30-40 minutes (mine was done when I checked at 35 minutes). Cool in pan on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool some more before cutting. 

Fat-Free Pineapple Coffee Cake Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment