Thursday, March 10, 2022

Tabouli Hummus Recipe

Tabouli Hummus Recipe

By Genevieve

It's been a while since I've posted a hummus recipe, probably because the last few times I've made it, I end up just throwing a bunch of ingredients into the food processor without bothering to measure anything. I usually find that some combination of chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic and tahini makes a tasty dip!

More often than not though, I still end up buying containers of hummus from the store, even though I know how easy it is - not to mention cheaper - to make at home. The last hummus that I bought was worth the extra expense though because it inspired me to make my own homemade version of it!

The brand of hummus that I bought was Garden Fresh Naturals, and it was a flavour I had never seen from other brands before - tabouli hummus. The ingredients listed herbs like parsley and mint, along with tomato and bulgur to resemble actual tabouli.

When I tasted the hummus, I got all of the flavour of tabouli, but there were no distinguishable ingredients like fresh herbs, I couldn't see any sign of tomato, and I would never have guessed there was any bulgur in it.

So I decided to make my own version of tabouli hummus with more pronounced flavours and fresh ingredients.

I started with the usual hummus ingredients of chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, and garlic. Next, I tossed in some fresh herbs typically found in tabouli (parsley and mint), and I even stirred in some diced tomato at the end.

The key ingredient in this version though, the one that really takes it beyond plain hummus, was the addition of actual prepared tabouli. I cheated a little bit by using a boxed mix instead of making my own tabouli from scratch, because I didn't want to make things overly complicated.  The prepared tabouli added a lot more of those same flavours I was going for, and it bulked up the hummus while completely blending in at the same time.

This was definitely a thick, chunky, and spreadable type of hummus rather than the smooth and creamy varieties that you usually get from storebought brands. It makes a great dip for pita chips on its own, or you can use it as a spread in a wrap or sandwich. Actually, my favourite way to eat it was to spread a thick layer of the hummus inside a pita and then stuff the pita with some of the leftover tabouli - like a double tabouli meal in a pita!

Tabouli Hummus

Ingredients:

  • 1 box tabouli mix
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (save the liquid)
  • 3-4 tbsp tahini
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp chopped parsley
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 tsp salt (or more if desired)
  • ground pepper
  • 1-2 tbsp reserved liquid from the can of chickpeas
  • 1 medium tomato, seeded and diced

Instructions:

Prepare the tabouli mix according to package directions and set aside.

Place the chickpeas in a food processor and add tahini, lemon juice, oil, parsley, mint, and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Process until the mixture is as smooth as possible. Add some of the reserved chickpea liquid (or water) one tablespoon at a time to thin out the mixture if necessary. Add half a cup of the prepared tabouli and process again until the tabouli is incorporated.

Transfer hummus to a container or bowl and stir in another half a cup of tabouli, and the diced tomato. Save the remaining tabouli for another use.

Store in the refrigerator. Serve with pita chips or crackers, or use as a spread in wraps or sandwiches.

Makes 1 large batch.

Tabouli Hummus Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment