Thursday, March 10, 2022

Vegan Tropical Mango Ice Cream Recipe

Vegan Tropical Mango Ice Cream Recipe

By Genevieve

As I mentioned in my last post, I just got my first ice cream maker this summer. I was always so jealous of other bloggers who dream up such inventive flavour combinations for ice cream that they can actually make at home, so I'm excited that I can finally join in!

So far, I've only experimented with vegan ice creams using coconut milk as the base rather than heavy cream or eggs. I figure I can go out and and buy decadent ice cream any time I want, so if I'm going to go to the effort of making my own personalized ice cream, I might as well take advantage of the opportunity to make it a bit healthier too!

I love tropical flavours and anything with mango, so when I saw a recipe for frozen mango coconut "thaiphoon" ice cream in my Vegan Planet cookbook, I knew I had to give it a try.

The ice cream itself is a blend of coconut milk, lime juice, and pureed mango, and I guess the "thaiphoon" part comes from the toppings that are added afterwards - chopped nuts, toasted coconut, and diced mango (which I forgot to add until after I took my photos and devoured most of the bowl!).

I liked this ice cream best just after it was churned, when it was still soft-serve consistency with a super creamy texture.

The ice cream itself wasn't too sweet and had hints of coconut and mango flavours with just enough lime. I loved the crunchy cashews and chewy coconut flakes sprinkled on top, but if you're not a fan of crunchy or chewy pieces in your ice cream, you can definitely eat it on its own and it will be just as tasty!

Now I just need the weather to cooperate and realize it's still supposed to be summer, not fall, so that I can keep making and enjoying more ice cream!

Tropical Mango Ice Cream

Adapted from Vegan Planet

Ingredients:

Ice Cream Base

  • 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
  • 1/2 cup non dairy milk (I used almond milk)
  • 2 cans full fat coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp agave nectar
  • 1 tsp lime zest
  • 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 mango

Toppings (per serving)

  • ~1/4 tsp lime zest (optional)
  • 1 tbsp finely chopped roasted cashews (can substitute peanuts)
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
  • Diced fresh mango (optional)

Instructions:

In a small bowl, stir together the arrowroot and almond milk until smooth.

Add coconut milk to a saucepan and heat on medium until it just starts to simmer. Stir in the arrowroot mixture and reduce heat to medium-low. Continue to heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, until the mixture has thickened a bit. Remove from heat and stir in the agave, lime zest, lime juice, and vanilla extract.

Puree the mango by cutting it into pieces and blending in the small bowl of a food processor until smooth. To make it easier to blend, add 1-2 tbsp of the coconut milk liquid mixture. Stir the pureed mango back into the ice cream mixture. Let cool, then transfer to a container and chill in the fridge until completely cold, preferably overnight.

When ready, pour mixture into your ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. 

Eat immediately for soft-serve consistency, or return to the freezer for a couple of hours first to firm up more. (Note: if you're eating it from the freezer, let it thaw at room temperature for at least 15-20 minutes first, as it firms up quite a bit after being stored in the freezer for awhile).  

To serve, place desired ice cream amount in a bowl and top with a bit of lime zest, cashews, toasted coconut, and mango (if desired).

Vegan Tropical Mango Ice Cream Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment