Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Gingerbread Quinoa Muffins with Pecan Streusel

Gingerbread Quinoa Muffins with Pecan Streusel

By Genevieve

Before I get to today's post, I have a new update to share with you - I finally set up a Facebook page for my blog! There's not much on there yet, but make sure you like the page to get all of my updates!

So far this holiday season, I've been on a bit of an eggnog kick...first I made these soy nog chai scones, and then vegan eggnog soft serve.  But I've also been baking with one of my other favourite holiday flavours - gingerbread. I've already posted a recipe for apple ginger cookies, and now I'm excited to share these gingerbread muffins!

When I saw these Gingerbread Millet Muffins on the blog Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes, I wanted to make them myself as soon as I could! They basically had everything that I look for in a muffin - a soft and puffy top, warm spices, whole grains and other healthy ingredients.

Since I didn't have any millet, I decided to try using quinoa instead, and it worked out perfectly! The quinoa gives the muffins a nice texture with a bit of crunch, and I loved the spicy flavour from the ginger and other spices (plus they will make your house smell so nice and Christmassy when they are in the oven!)

I also wanted to add some nuts to the muffins, so I chopped up some pecans and mixed them with sugar and cinnamon to make a streusel topping. The tops of my muffins did sink in a bit where the nuts were, but I still thought the topping made the muffins extra special!

Gingerbread Quinoa Muffins

Adapted from Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 ¼ cups spelt flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 cup dry quinoa
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp cloves
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt (can substitute soy yogurt)
  • 1/3 cup molasses
  • 1/2 cup sugar (I used cane sugar)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350° and prepare your muffin tin by coating with baking spray or lining with paper liners.

Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour through to nutmeg) in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, mix together the yogurt, molasses, sugar and vegetable oil.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing just until the dry ingredients are incorporated.

Pour the batter into your muffin tin, filling the cups about 2/3 of the way full. 

Mix together the pecans, cinnamon and brown sugar. Sprinkle the mixture over the tops of the muffins (you might not need it all).

Bake for about 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the muffins comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Makes 12 muffins.

Gingerbread Quinoa Muffins with Pecan Streusel Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment