Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Grilled Sweet Potato and Avocado Sandwich

Grilled Sweet Potato and Avocado Sandwich

By Genevieve

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! I had a great weekend spent with my family eating lots of delicious food! Our tradition is to prepare lots of small appetizers for Christmas Eve instead of a big meal, and for my contribution I made some stuffed dates, these chai-spiced roasted almonds from Healthful Pursuit and these rosemary apricot chickpea bites from spabettie.

Then on Christmas morning, we enjoyed our annual overnight stuffed blueberry french toast that my mom makes (topped with some coconut agave syrup that Santa brought me!), followed by a family dinner later that evening. I was stuffed by the end of the night, but in a good way!

I'm also enjoying being on holidays and having plenty of time to just relax and be lazy. Another bonus of being on holidays is that you can prepare a freshly made lunch that can be eaten right away, so its my chance to make things I wouldn't normally get to eat for lunch!

This sandwich is one of the lunches I made on a recent day off. I had half an avocado to use up, and I couldn't get the idea of a grilled avocado sandwich out of my head. I also happened to have part of a sweet potato in my fridge, so I decided to mash it and spread it on the sandwich too.

A simple avocado-sweet potato combination would be great on its own, but I also added a quick sauce made of tahini, yogurt and lemon juice. I think tahini pairs really well with both avocado and sweet potato, but you could easily leave it out or substitute a different sauce (I'm thinking mango chutney would be delicious too!)

This is an easy and fairly quick sandwich to put together, and being able to eat a warm toasted sandwich hot off the stove definitely made this a more memorable lunch than usual!

Grilled Sweet Potato & Avocado Sandwich

Ingredients:

  • 2 slices of bread (I like to use multigrain)
  • Coconut oil
  • 1/2 an avocado, peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 a sweet potato (about 4 oz)
  • 1 tbsp plain low-fat or soy yogurt 
  • 1 tbsp tahini
  • 1/2 to 1 tsp lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper

Instructions:

Peel the sweet potato and microwave on high until soft (about 3 minutes). Once it is cool enough to handle, mash it until smooth.

Mix the yogurt, tahini and lemon juice in small bowl (start with the smaller amount of lemon juice, then taste and add more if desired). Add some salt and pepper.

Heat a small skillet on the stove over medium heat. Spread a bit of coconut oil on one side of each piece of bread (this will be the outside of the sandwich). On the other side of one piece, spread the mashed sweet potato. Spread the tahini sauce on the other piece of bread. Lay the avocado slices over the sauce. Season generously with salt and pepper.

Put the sandwich together carefully. Place in the preheated skillet and press down with a spatula. Grill each side for about 1-2 minutes. Remove and slice in half. 

Makes 1 sandwich.

Grilled Sweet Potato and Avocado Sandwich Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment