Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Soy Nog Chai Scones Recipe

Soy Nog Chai Scones Recipe

By Genevieve

Now that December is practically here, I'm ready to start sharing some holiday recipes on the blog! As a lover of Starbucks holiday drinks, I usually focus on the following flavours when I think of holiday baking: eggnog, chai, gingerbread and peppermint.

These scones were my first holiday baking experiment incorporating two of those flavours: eggnog and chai. But instead of real eggnog, I wanted to try using my latest obsession: So Nice Noel Nog.  I actually like soy nog better than the real thing - even though it's not as thick and creamy, I love the taste! I've been drinking it on its own and adding it to my coffee, so I was excited to try baking with it too!

The inspiration for these scones comes from Mama Pea's vegan Vanilla Bean Mini-Scones. To get the holiday flavour I wanted, I used my noel nog for the milk, and added the contents of a chai tea bag, along with some cinnamon and nutmeg for more spice. I also used coconut oil instead of margarine (because that's all I had), and subbed vanilla extract for the vanilla bean.

The flavour of these scones was amazing! The eggnog taste definitely came through, and I loved the accent of the chai tea. As you can see, they weren't quite as fluffy as I wanted, but I may have rolled the dough too thin when I cut them, and I also overbaked them a tad! Despite my mistakes, I still loved them!

I also made a simple glaze by combining icing sugar with noel nog and cinnamon, and drizzled it over top of the scones afterwards to add some more sweetness. I liked them with the glaze as a treat, but feel free to leave it out for a more wholesome breakfast!

Soy Nog Chai Scones

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup whole grain spelt flour
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 chai tea bags
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil (or butter or vegan margarine)
  • 1/2 cup soy nog
  • 1/3 cup cane sugar (or other sugar)
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350°.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and the contents of two chai tea bags.  Add the coconut oil to the dry ingredients and mix in with a fork or pastry cutter until the dough is crumbly.

In a separate bowl, combine the soy nog, sugar and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined (do not overmix).

Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and divide into two equal portions. Pat or roll each portion into a flat circle, about 1.5 inches thick. Cut each circle with a knife into six equal wedges (like a pie).

Place wedges on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes, until scones have started to brown and firm up (*Note: the instructions in the original recipe called for a baking time of 13-15 minutes for mini scones but since mine were larger, I increased the baking time to 15-17 minutes).

Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Once cool, drizzle with eggnog glaze if desired (recipe below).

Eggnog Glaze

  • 1 cup icing sugar
  • 3 tbsp soy nog
  • dash of cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth. Add more icing sugar or milk to adjust the consistency if necessary.

Soy Nog Chai Scones Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment