Saturday, March 12, 2022

Cherry Blueberry Bran Muffins Recipe

Cherry Blueberry Bran Muffins Recipe

By Genevieve

Hope you're not sick of cherry season yet, because I've got another cherry recipe to share with you today! After making my roasted cherry brownies, I still some more cherries to use up, so I thought they would be the perfect addition to some healthy breakfast muffins.

I'd had my eye on a recipe for blackberry bran muffins from the Straight From the Earth cookbook, so I used that recipe as my inspiration for these cherry blueberry muffins!

Besides using different fruits, I made a few other minor changes to the recipe, including the method of mixing the ingredients, and reducing the sugar a bit. I also added a touch of maple extract to add a bit more sweetness along with the fruit.

The bran was definitely the dominant flavour in these, so if you like bran muffins, you will love the flavour and texture of these muffins.

I liked how they tasted a bit nutty, they weren't too sweet, and they were just dense and hearty enough without being too filling. Of course, my favourite part was all the blueberries and cherries in every bite!

While bran muffins may not be the most popular muffin on the block, I ended up liking them a lot more than I was expecting to! And besides, if I'm going to eat a muffin for breakfast, I want it to still be somewhat nutritious, so I can feel good about eating one of these in the morning - my only complaint was that they were a little on the small side, but they still make a great addition to a smoothie or yogurt!

Cherry Blueberry Bran Muffins

Cherry Blueberry Bran Muffins

Adapted from Straight From the Earth cookbook, as seen here

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp ground flax
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 2 cups wheat bran
  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (can substitute another oil)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp maple extract (optional)
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cherries (pit removed)
  • 1/2 cup blueberries

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray.

In a medium sized bowl, stir together the almond milk and vinegar and let sit for 5-10 minutes. In a separate small bowl, stir together the flax and water and let sit 5-10 minutes as well.

In a large bowl, whisk together the wheat bran, flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.

Add the sugar, applesauce, oil, and extracts to the almond milk mixture and stir well to dissolve the sugar. Add the flax mixture and stir again. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir gently just until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Fold in the cherries and blueberries.

Divide batter into muffin cups, then bake in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes, until the muffins feel firm on top and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for at least 5 minutes before removing muffins and transferring them to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Makes 12 small muffins.

Cherry Blueberry Bran Muffins Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment