Friday, March 11, 2022

Brussels Sprout Slaw Recipe

Brussels Sprout Slaw Recipe

By Genevieve

As my cookbook collection grows, I'm trying to make more of an effort to actually try more of the recipes in them. It's easy to make recipes from other blogs because they're easily accessible from anywhere (laptop, phone, etc.) and they come with reviews, comments, and most importantly, pictures so I can see how the finished dish is supposed to turn out!

Some of my favourite recipes, however, have come from the many cookbooks on my shelves, which makes sense when you think of how much work and testing goes into perfecting those recipes before they're published!

The latest cookbook that I got for Christmas was Pure Vegan, a gorgeous book with recipes divided into time of day rather than the usual categories. Since I wanted to make sure I tried some of the recipes, I chose my first one to make last week and it was this simple brussels sprout slaw.

The original recipe called for just raw brussels sprouts with walnuts and a minimal dressing of olive oil and lemon juice with some nutritional yeast added for a bit of cheesy flavour.

For my version, I used toasted pecans instead of walnuts, and added tahini to the dressing to thicken it up a bit, because I like creamier dressings for slaws.

I loved the method of preparing the brussels sprouts since you end up with whole leaves that act like little cups to scoop up the nuts and hold in the dressing really well! The dressing had a nice balance of nutty, lemony and cheesy notes to it, which was perfect for covering up any bitterness remaining in the brussels sprouts.

While you may not win over brussels sprouts haters with this dish, it's a nice simple salad that would also hold up well for lunches or potlucks without getting soggy.

Hopefully I'll be able to try more recipes from Pure Vegan soon, and if you have the cookbook, let me know if you have any recommendations!

Brussels Sprout Slaw

Adapted from Pure Vegan

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 lb brussels sprouts
  • 3-4 tbsp chopped pecans or walnuts
  • 1 tbsp tahini
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 tsp agave nectar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • Ground pepper

Instructions:

Wash brussels sprouts well. Slice off the bottoms and remove the outer layers of leaves (discard them). Carefully separate the remaining leaves, trying to keep them whole as much as possible (I found it easier to first cut out the core from the bottom and then pull apart the leaves). Transfer leaves to a bowl.

Heat a small skillet on the stove over medium heat. Toast the nuts for a few minutes, until lightly toasted and fragrant. Remove from heat and add to the bowl.

Stir together the remaining ingredients until you get a smooth sauce. Pour over the brussels sprouts and toss well to mix thoroughly.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Makes 1-2 servings.

Brussels Sprout Slaw Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment