Thursday, March 10, 2022

Roasted Corn and Pineapple Salad Recipe

Roasted Corn and Pineapple Salad Recipe

By Genevieve

Another week has flown by and with lots of events going on this weekend, I couldn't be happier that it's Friday! One of my favourite things about summertime is all of the outdoor activities and festivals happening - it seems like there's always something to do on the weekend, and it's a bonus when some of those activities are free!

This weekend, I'll be going to a friend's potluck party (and bringing a dessert that I plan on sharing with you soon!), and there are at least four other events going on - a free outdoor music show, a nighttime block party downtown, the local air show, and a food-crafts-art show in the park near my apartment. I can't wait to spend the weekend outside, as long as the weather holds up!

This salad that I made last weekend also feels like summer to me - it has roasted corn, warm pineapple, lots of fresh lime juice and cilantro, all combined into a fresh and flavourful dish that can be eaten on its own as a salad or as a salsa with chips.

If you haven't tried roasting corn in the oven before, I highly recommend it as an easy and fuss-free method for cooking corn - it's as simple as tossing the whole cob, husks and all, into the oven and leaving it in there for half an hour.

Along with the roasted corn, this salad also uses pineapple in my favourite form - hot! I love grilled pineapple, but since I don't own a BBQ, I broiled it in the oven instead, coated in a glaze of lime juice and agave to get a more intense sweet and sour flavour.

I liked this best eaten on its own, especially when I dug my spoon down to the bottom of the bowl to get all the juices, but I also ate some as a snack with some rice & bean based tortilla chips.

I will definitely be making this salad again this summer, especially once local corn is ready! Hope you all have a fun weekend and enjoy the sunshine!

Roasted Corn and Pineapple Salad

Roasted Corn & Pineapple Salad

Ingredients:

  • 2 cobs corn
  • 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
  • Juice of one lime (really squeeze it well to get all the juice)
  • 1 tbsp agave nectar (can substitute honey for non-vegan version)
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 a large jalapeno, minced
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • Salt and pepper

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Trim a few of the outer leaves from the corn and remove some of the silk from the top. When oven is ready, put the corn in directly on the rack (leave the husks on). Let roast for half an hour.

Meanwhile, place the pineapple in a bowl. Mix the lime juice and agave together and pour over the pineapple, tossing to coat. Add the cumin and toss again. Transfer pineapple and the juices to a small baking dish.

When corn is done, remove from oven and set aside to cool. Turn on the broiler.

When broiler is ready, place the pineapple in the oven and cook for 5 minutes. Stir, then cook another 4 minutes. Remove from oven.

While pineapple is cooking, remove husks from the corn and slice off the kernels with a knife into a large bowl. Add the cooked pineapple with its juices to the bowl. Add the jalapeno and cilantro, tossing to mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve warm on its own as a salad; with tortilla chips; or as a topping for quesadillas or tacos. 

Makes 2-4 servings.

Roasted Corn and Pineapple Salad Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment