Thursday, March 10, 2022

Scrambled Tofu with Pesto, Tomatoes and Fava Beans

Scrambled Tofu with Pesto, Tomatoes and Fava Beans

By Genevieve

I know I'm a bit late to the game with this recipe since scrambled tofu is nothing new, but this was my first time actually making it, so I wanted to post my own recipe on my blog. Plus, it turned out so pretty and colourful that I just had to share it!

If you've never heard of or tried scrambled tofu, the basic idea is to take firm tofu, crumble it up into uneven pieces, add some seasonings and cook it on the stovetop. The appearance, taste and texture resemble scrambled eggs, but only to a certain degree - I'm not sure if you'd be able to trick anyone into believing they were eating eggs instead of tofu!

This is one of the easiest ways to cook tofu, as it can be ready in about 10 minutes! I've actually used this method once before when I made a version of pad thai with scrambled tofu, but I've been wanting to try it with a more breakfasty type of recipe that highlighted the tofu as the main component.

For this version, I flavoured the tofu with a bit of nutritional yeast and garlic, and mixed in some homemade basil pesto for an even stronger boost of flavour. I also added some heirloom cherry tomatoes and fresh fava beans at the end to round out the dish with a colourful vegetable component.

I loved how fresh and seasonal this tasted from the combination of the earthy fava beans, juicy tomatoes and nutty basil pesto. A handful of pea shoots on the side was a welcome addition to the plate to lighten it up a bit more!

While I enjoyed the scramble on its own, my favourite way to eat it was wrapped up in a tortilla - kind of like a breakfast burrito but much lighter and healthier tasting! I also liked how the tortilla held all the ingredients together really well - unlike a piece of toast, which tasted good with the scramble on top but was a bit messy to eat!

Now that I know how easy it is to make scrambled tofu, and how adaptable the basic recipe is by adding flavour with different spices, sauces, and seasonal vegetables, I'll definitely have to start making it more often!

Scrambled Tofu with Pesto, Tomatoes and Fava Beans 1

Scrambled Tofu with Pesto, Tomatoes & Fava Beans

Adapted from Vegetarian Ventures and An Endless Road

Ingredients:

  • Small package (175g) firm tofu
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric (optional for a brighter yellow colour)
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • ~1/2 cup sliced cherry or grape tomatoes (I used heirloom tomatoes)
  • 2-3 tbsp shelled fava beans*
  • 2-3 tbsp pesto
  • Handful of pea shoots (optional)
  • Tortillas for serving

Instructions:

Remove tofu from package, squeezing out any excess water. Crumble tofu using your hands or a fork into a bowl. Add the turmeric and nutritional yeast and stir until mixed. Season with salt and pepper.

Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds. Add tofu and cook, stirring often, for about 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes and fava beans and cook for another minute or two. Stir in the pesto and let cook until the pesto is heated through and evenly mixed into the tofu.

Serve warm, with pea shoots on top and tortillas for making wraps if desired (you could also just serve this with a side of toast). Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.

Makes 2 servings. 

Scrambled Tofu with Pesto, Tomatoes and Fava Beans Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment