Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Vegan Coconut Sweet Potato Pie Recipe

Vegan Coconut Sweet Potato Pie Recipe

By Genevieve

It's the last day of Thanksgiving Week, and that means it's finally time for my favourite part of the Thanksgiving meal - dessert!

My dessert of choice at Thanksgiving has always been a traditional pumpkin pie topped with whipped cream, but this year I wanted to try something different and create a vegan pie.  After searching for recipes, I ended up deciding to make a sweet potato pie because I've never tried one before and I was curious!

I started with a recipe from Veg Source for vegan sweet potato pie, but I was inspired to turn it into a coconut version after seeing these recipes for a coconut sweet potato pie and vegan coconut whipped cream.

So after putting all of these recipes together, what I came up with was a coconut-lover's dream:  coconut-sweet potato pie with a coconut graham cracker crust and coconut whipped cream on top!

This was actually the first pie I've ever made from scratch myself, so I was pretty nervous when it was finally time to cut into it and see how it turned out....but to my surprise, it came out just the way I had hoped!

I liked the ratio of crust to pie - I'm not a big fan of crust on anything, so I prefer less of it. This crust was crumbly without falling apart, and had a nice coconutty flavour. The coconut taste wasn't as strong in the pie itself - instead, the sweet potato really came through, accented by a hint of maple syrup and spices.

I would definitely recommend topping this with the coconut whipped cream.  Unlike storebought whipped cream, which can have an airy taste and is full of artificial ingredients, this one was smooth and creamy and it only has two ingredients - coconut milk and icing sugar!

I'm not sure if sweet potato pie will replace pumpkin pie as my all-time favourite Thanskgiving dessert, but this was definitely a close second and it was fun to try something a bit different. It also received very good reviews from everyone who tried it at the potluck that I brought it to this week!

Coconut Sweet Potato Pie

For the crust:

Ingredients:

  • 1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs (make sure they are dairy-free)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/3 cup coconut oil, softened
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • Pinch of salt

Instructions:

Mix everything in a large bowl until all of the crumbs are moistened. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-inch pie pan. Let chill in the fridge for about 1 hour.

For the pie:

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups mashed sweet potato (I used 1.5 sweet potatoes)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp each nutmeg, ginger and cloves
  • 1 cup coconut milk beverage from the carton
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch

Instructions:

Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into chunks. Add chunks to a pot of boiling water and boil until soft (about 10-15 minutes). Drain and let cool, then mash completely.

Place the mashed sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Add the salt and spices and stir to mix. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth. 

Pour the filling onto the prepared pie crust, until it reaches the top edges of the crust (you might not need all of the filling).

Bake at 375°F for 50-60 minutes, until the filling is set on top (it should stay pretty firm if you jiggle the pan). Let cool completely on a wire rack.

Cut into slices and serve with coconut whipped cream.

Makes one 9-inch pie (10-12 pieces).

Vegan Coconut Sweet Potato Pie Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment