Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Rosemary Grape Focaccia Recipe

Rosemary Grape Focaccia Recipe

By Genevieve

Happy Easter to everyone who is celebrating it today!  We will be having our family Easter dinner tonight, and I'll be contributing a vegetarian entree for my sisters and I to eat instead of ham.  I chose a new recipe from Vegan Planet for a couscous cake topped with a spring vegetable saute - I hope it turns out as good as it sounds!

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to come up with an Easter themed recipe for my blog this year, but I still have a tasty recipe for you today...and I also have a few recipes inspired by my Singapore/Thailand trip coming up next!

When I first tried roasted grapes in this quinoa salad, I started thinking of more ways that I could use them.  Then Heather of Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes gave me a great suggestion when she said she makes a focaccia with roasted grapes and rosemary. I couldn't get this idea out of my head, so I knew I had to try it myself as soon as I could!

I had always thought that focaccia required some kind of special dough, but when I looked for recipes to follow, I found out that you can just use any regular pizza dough.  So I turned to my trusty Vegan Planet once again to get a recipe for traditional pizza dough, although I changed the flours so that my dough was made with half whole spelt and half light spelt. This resulted in a slightly darker focaccia than you would usually see, but at least it was a bit more nutritious!

Once you have the dough prepared, the focaccia itself is pretty easy to make.  I just tossed some sliced shallots with garlic, olive oil and dried rosemary (since I didn't have fresh), and spread that over top of the dough. Next, I took my grapes and pressed them down into the dough.  Then it goes into the oven to bake, and when it's done you can sprinkle some coarse salt on top like a traditional focaccia.

This was a simple combination of ingredients that worked really well together! Even though there was no sauce and the toppings were minimal, they still provided a lot of flavour and I loved the combination of the sweet juicy grapes with the savory shallot-rosemary mixture.

I think this would make a great appetizer if you cut the focaccia into smaller pieces, but it also made a great lunch for me on its own!

Rosemary Grape Focaccia

Ingredients:

  • 1 recipe of your favourite vegan pizza dough (I used the Traditional Pizza Dough from Vegan Planet made with half whole and half light spelt flour)
  • 2 small shallots
  • 2 small cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp dried rosemary (can substitute fresh rosemary)
  • 1 cup red grapes

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal.

Roll out the dough to a 9x13 inch rectangle (about ½ inch thick).

Peel the shallots and cut in half lengthwise, then slice thinly. Place sliced shallots in a bowl along with the minced garlic and olive oil. Stir to combine, then add the rosemary and stir again.

Spread the shallot mixture over the dough, pressing down gently. Distribute the grapes evenly on top of the shallot mixture and press each one down into the dough.

Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until dough is golden and shallots are browned.

Remove from oven and sprinkle with coarse salt if desired.

Makes about 6 servings/pieces. (Note: I made half the recipe for a smaller 3-piece focaccia, as shown in the pictures).

Rosemary Grape Focaccia Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment