Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Thai Inspired Hummus Recipe

Thai Inspired Hummus Recipe

By Genevieve

I know it seems like all I've talked about lately on my blog is my trip to Asia, but that trip inspired at least a few good recipes that I wanted to share with you, so I hope you'll bear with me as I post one more today!

Since I had bought a few somewhat exotic ingredients to make my green curry, I didn't want the leftovers to go to waste afterwards.  When I tried to think of other uses for them, the first idea that came to my mind was a savory muffin. But sadly, that idea didn't quite turn out as good as I'd hoped...the muffins looked and tasted pretty good when they came out of the oven, but they started to give off a pretty nasty smell the next day - I guess daikon isn't meant to be baked!

So I moved on to the next idea that I came up with, which was to incorporate all of those same flavours from the green curry into a hummus to snack on!

I found a recipe for Spicy Thai Hummus on the blog Olives for Dinner that I liked the sounds of, and then I made some changes so that I could use more of the ingredients that I already had on hand, like the kaffir lime leaves, Thai basil, and green chilies.

After my muffin disaster, I was really hoping that this recipe would turn out better, and I was so excited when I tasted it!  This is probably the most savory hummus I've ever made - it really tastes like a meal in the form of a dip!  I thought it tasted like a cross between Thai peanut sauce and green curry, with just the right amount of spice.

It was also really thick, so it would make a good sandwich spread - I enjoyed it in veggie wraps, and also as a dip with pita chips and veggies.

So if you're looking to spice up your usual hummus with some new flavours, give this Thai-inspired recipe a try!

Thai Inspired Hummus

Thai-Inspired Hummus

Adapted from Olives for Dinner

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
  • 1 6-inch stalk lemongrass, minced (remove the outer leaves first)
  • 2 kaffir lime leaves, minced (or you can substitute the zest of one lime)
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh Thai basil (can substitute cilantro)
  • 2 green chilies, seeded and minced
  • 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 1 tsp natural palm sugar
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • Juice of one lime

Instructions:

Place the chickpeas, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, lime leaves, basil, and chilies in a food processor. Pulse a few times to mix the ingredients.  Add the remaining ingredients and process until the hummus is smooth and all the ingredients are fully incorporated. 

Serve with veggies, crackers, or pita bread. Store in the refrigerator. 

Thai Inspired Hummus Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment