Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Radish Toasts with Edamame Spread Recipe

Radish Toasts with Edamame Spread Recipe

By Genevieve

One of my favourite vegetables to get from the farmers' market this time of year is radishes. They always look so gorgeous with their bright red skin, and I never have any problems using up the whole bunch - I like to eat them on their own as a snack, or added to salads, or my favourite way: sliced and eaten on toast, sprinkled with lots of salt and pepper.

While I usually go with a simple base of butter on the toast, this weekend I wanted to try something a bit different. I came across a recipe for edamame hummus in a Vegetarian Times cookbook and I thought the buttery taste of the edamame beans, along with some lemon, garlic and herbs would go really well with the crisp, peppery radishes.

Instead of adding parsley to the edamame spread like the original recipe recommended, I used a tip that I read recently from Heather of Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes, who mentioned that carrot tops are edible and come from the same family as parsley.  I had never tried eating carrot tops before, but I thought that their slightly bitter, spicy taste would complement the edamame and radishes, plus it would be a great way to make more use of my farmers' market produce!

The edamame spread was pretty easy to make using a food processor, and the taste was just what I was looking for - bright, fresh and zesty! The carrot tops added a subtle bite that really enhanced the garden-fresh taste of the spread. It would be great eaten on crostini on its own, but I loved the combination of the edamame spread with sliced radishes on toasted multigrain sunflower rye bread, topped with salt and pepper.

I loved this combination so much that I think I ate some with every meal this weekend, until my edamame spread was gone (I made the mistake of only making a half batch of the recipe below!)  It's a great snack that I could eat all summer long, and it can also be made a bit fancier if you want to serve it as an appetizer on sliced crostini.

Radish Toasts with Edamame Spread

Ingredients:

  • 2-3 slices of bread (I used thinly sliced sunflower rye bread)
  • edamame spread (recipe below)
  • 1-2 radishes, thinly sliced
  • salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

Toast your bread and spread generously with the edamame spread. Layer radish slices on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Makes 1 serving.

Edamame Spread

Adapted from Vegetarian Times

Ingredients:

  • 1.5 cups frozen shelled edamame
  • 3 tbsp tahini
  • 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 2 small cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup carrot top leaves, chopped

Instructions:

Cook edamame according to package directions (I microwaved it for 1-2 minutes).

Place edamame in a food processor and add remaining ingredients. Process until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Taste and add salt and pepper if desired.

Makes about 1.5 cups.

Radish Toasts with Edamame Spread Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment