Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Morning Glory Muffins Recipe

Morning Glory Muffins Recipe

By Genevieve

I hope you're not sick of seeing beet recipes on my blog yet, because I've got another one for you today!

I've always thought that beets and carrots make a good combination, and I figured if carrots can be added to baked goods like loaves and muffins, then why not beets?  So I set out to create a hearty muffin full of fruits, veggies and other healthy ingredients.  There were too many different ingredients in these muffins to come up with a concise name, so I'm just calling them morning glory muffins (although I'm not exactly sure what qualifies muffins as morning glory)!

I was worried that these muffins would turn out to be a disaster, and I still wasn't sure about them when I took a bite after taking them out of the oven....but I guess they just needed some more time to sit and cool because I loved them once I tried one the next morning!

The beets gave the muffins a pinkish tint, but their taste didn't overpower the rest of the ingredients. I really liked the combination of beets, carrots and apple, and I loved how every bite was full of different textures.

The ingredients list may look long, but you can customize these based on what you have on hand....for example, if you don't like beets just substitute more carrots, and if you're not a fan of raisins then you can leave them out too.

My only complaint about these muffins is that they didn't rise much in the oven, so they were a bit flat.  These are definitely not the light, sweet cakey type of muffin, but if you like a more dense, hearty muffin then these are for you!

Morning Glory Muffins

Inspired by various recipes like these muffins from Sweet Savory Planet

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup spelt flour
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 tbsp golden flax seeds (optional)
  • 1 tbsp wheat bran or wheat germ (optional)
  • 2 tbsp raisins
  • 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 cup grated carrot
  • 1/2 cup grated beet
  • 1/2 a small apple, finely diced
  • 1/2 a ripe banana
  • 1.5 tbsp melted coconut oil
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
  • 2 tbsp orange juice
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp ground flax

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 375° and prepare a muffin pan with paper liners.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl. Add the brown sguar, oats, coconut, flax seeds, wheat bran, raisins and walnuts and stir to combine. Next, add the shredded carrot, beet and apple to the bowl and stir until they are coated with the dry ingredients.

In a separate small bowl, mash the banana. Add all the remaining ingredients and stir well to mix.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.

Divide the batter into the muffin cups, filling each one about three-quarters of the way full. Bake for 23-26 minutes, until the muffins are set and a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool completely on a wire rack.

Makes 8 small muffins.

Morning Glory Muffins Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment