Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Cherry Chia Carob Cookies Recipe

Cherry Chia Carob Cookies Recipe

By Genevieve

I made these cookies a few weeks ago for a cookie swap and I couldn't wait to post about them, since I think they would make a great addition to your Christmas cookie trays!

I was looking for a healthier vegan cookie to bring to the cookie swap, and I liked the sounds of these soft chia carob cookies that I saw on the blog Pure2Raw. So I started with their recipe, but I ended up changing a lot so my version looks nothing like theirs...but they still tasted amazing!

I decided to add carob chips in addition to the carob powder that's already in the dough, and then my favourite part of these cookies was the dried cherries that I added. The cherries are a bit more expensive than other dried fruit, but they are definitely worth it! The combination of the tart cherries with the carob worked really well!

I also liked the texture of the cookies - the outside was firm and crunchy but the inside was soft and chewy, and the chia seeds added another unique dimension.

Another great thing about these cookies is that they are much healthier than most Christmas cookies so you can feel better about eating them, but at the same time, they don't taste like a "healthy" cookie. You might even be able to trick people into thinking they are decadent chocolate cookies - although true chocolate lovers (a category that does not include me!) will probably notice the difference with the carob.

Cherry Chia Carob Cookies

Adapted from Pure2Raw

Ingredients:

  • 1.5 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cardamom
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp carob powder
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1.5 tbsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1/3 cup carob chips
  • 1/3 cup dried cherries

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350°.

Combine the dry ingredients (flour to chia seeds) in a large bowl.

Add the almond milk, applesauce and vanilla to the bowl and stir to mix. Then add the coconut oil and stir until the dry ingredients are all incorporated (if the dough is still too dry, add a bit of water, 1 tsp at a time).

Fold in the carob chips and dried cherries.

Roll the dough into small balls and place on a baking sheet. For rounder cookies (like the ones in the pictures), place the whole baking sheet in the freezer for about 10 minutes before baking.

Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes.

Makes 28 cookies.

Cherry Chia Carob Cookies Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment