Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Roasted Winter Panzanella Recipe

Roasted Winter Panzanella Recipe

By Genevieve

This summer, I discovered panzanella - a fresh and simple bread salad - and it became my new favourite summertime meal. Then I tried a roasted summer panzanella and liked that even more than the raw version!

But then summer and its fresh produce faded away, so I sadly said goodbye to my beloved panzanella ... until I started seeing versions of winter panzanella on a few blogs, and became inspired to update my roasted panzanella to suit the new season!

I had a lot of choices for ingredients that I could include in my winter panzanella, but I ended up using brussels sprouts, carrots, beets, potatoes and artichokes. I also kept the grape tomatoes from the original version since I think they are an essential part of panzanella, even though they're no longer seasonal.

I also changed up the herbs by using fresh sage instead of basil, and replaced the white bread with pumpernickel to fit the darker winter theme.

I was so excited to try this salad (if you can even classify it as a salad), and it definitely did not disappoint! I loved the variety of roasted veggies tossed with the sage in a light oil and vinegar dressing, and combined with the toasted pumpernickel and juicy tomatoes. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the artichokes, so I made the salad again without them and enjoyed it even more that way.

This is a great way to use up leftover roasted veggies and is very adaptable - you could try adding squash, parsnips or rutabagas too! I also left out the cheese this time, but would also taste great with some fresh mozzarella or bocconcini balls.

Roasted Winter Panzanella

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium beet, peeled and diced
  • 2 medium carrots, washed and diced
  • 2 small red potatoes (about 8 oz), washed and diced
  • 6 oz brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • About 3/4 cup grape tomatoes, halved
  • 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
  • 2 thick slices of pumpernickel bread (1-2 cups when cut into pieces)
  • 1 tbsp fresh sage, sliced
  • 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for roasting
  • 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar 
  • Salt and pepper

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Toss beets with a splash of olive oil, salt and pepper and spread on a large baking tray. Place in the oven and roast for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the potatoes, carrots and brussel sprouts and toss with more olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano. Remove beets from oven and add vegetables to the baking pan along with the beets. Return to oven for 35-40 minutes.

Place the grape tomatoes and garlic in a separate baking dish and toss with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Add to oven for the last 15-20 minutes of roasting time.

Place the slices of bread in the oven for the last 5-10 minutes, until lightly toasted (I placed the slices directly on the oven rack). Remove and slice or tear into bite-sized chunks.

To prepare salad, place all vegetables, bread, and sage in a bowl and toss to mix. Drizzle with about 2 tbsp olive oil and 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.

Serve warm.

Makes 2 servings. 

Roasted Winter Panzanella Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment