Monday, March 7, 2022

Parsnip Pear Soup Recipe

Parsnip Pear Soup Recipe

By Genevieve

I've officially made my first soup of the Fall season! When the weather starts getting cooler, I love to bring home root vegetables from the market, roast them in the oven, then purée them into a delicious and comforting soup.

This soup was different than any I've ever made in the past.  It combines parsnips with pears, resulting in a unique, slightly sweet taste with a hint of spice. Parsnips are a pretty neutral-tasting vegetable on their own (similar to carrots), but in this recipe they are roasted first, which brings out a deeper, sweeter flavour that paired nicely with the pear.

This wasn't the prettiest soup I've ever made either - it looked more like ugly mashed potatoes than a smooth soup - but I still loved the taste of it!

As you can see in the photo below, my soup was also very thick, almost like a puree. I prefer thicker soups anyway, so this was fine with me, but if you like a thinner soup, you can add more liquid.

Parsnip Pear Soup

Adapted from Eat This, originally from The Perfect Pantry

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb parsnips, peeled and ends trimmed
  • 1 yellow onion, peeled and quartered
  • 2 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
  • 1 pear, peeled and chopped
  • 1.5 cups vegetable stock
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/8 tsp allspice
  • salt and pepper
  • roasted pumpkin seeds for garnish (optional)

Instructions:

Place the parsnips, onion, and garlic on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven at 375°F for 30-40 minutes, until the parsnips are tender and lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. 

Once cooled, cut the parsnips into chunks and remove the garlic from its peel. Place the parsnips, garlic, onions, and pear in a large pot. Add the vegetable stock, thyme and allspice. Add more water if you need to, so that the veggies are almost covered.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.

Blend soup in batches in a blender or food processor. Add more water if necessary to thin out the soup (I found that I needed to add a lot of water to get more of a soup-like consistency. I used at least 1 cup of water, and my soup was still very thick).

Season with additional salt and pepper and serve hot. Garnish with pumpkin seeds if desired.

Makes 3 servings.

Parsnip Pear Soup Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment