Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Cranberry Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Recipe

Cranberry Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Recipe

By Genevieve

I don’t usually write about my personal life on my blog, but today marks a bit of a personal milestone that I wanted to share – it's my one year anniversary of being vegetarian! I had already considered myself a 'flexitarian' for awhile, but one year ago today marks the official day that I made the decision to stop eating meat completely....and I’m happy to say that I haven’t looked back since!

I thought it would be difficult to give up some of my favourite fish or chicken meals, but honestly I haven’t ever craved them.  I would definitely say I’ve grown a lot in the past year in terms of my cooking style, what I eat, and what products I buy, and through this process I’ve learned a lot of new things and enjoyed cooking more than ever! 

It's funny to think that just one year ago, I had never even tried certain foods like quinoa - and now it's one of my favourite things to make!  So in honour of this occasion, I thought it would be appropriate to share a recipe for a simple and healthy vegetarian quinoa dish.

The recipe comes from a great blog, Daily Garnish. Her recipe looked perfect already, so the only change I made was to add the diced apples at the end rather than cooking them with the quinoa, since I wanted them to stay crisp. I also thought the cinnamon stick didn't provide enough flavour, so I added some extra ground cinnamon to each serving. 

Cooking the quinoa in orange juice gives it a fruity flavour that goes well with the apples and cranberries. This makes a nice light dish suitable for breakfast or lunch, and is a good recipe for the winter months when many other fresh fruits aren't available. 

Cranberry Apple-Cinnamon Quinoa

Slightly Adapted from Daily Garnish

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup dry red quinoa
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 3/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1 medium apple, diced
  • Additional cinnamon for sprinkling

Instructions:

Heat a medium sized saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the quinoa and lay the cinnamon stick in the middle of the quinoa. Add the orange juice and water to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 20-25 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed. Remove the lid for the last 5 minutes of cooking to allow the remaining moisture to escape.

Once the quinoa is done cooking, remove the cinnamon stick and add the cranberries, pumpkin seeds and apples, tossing to combine. Sprinkle some extra cinnamon over each serving if desired.

Makes 3-4 servings.

Cranberry Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Recipe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: Admin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment